Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bob Dylan's Music

The first time I remember hearing about Bob Dylan was when 1 of my friends and I were going to "Adventures in Learning", a Campus Ministry activity. Since there weren't many students who went that day we didn't take the school van or bus. The teacher, Mr. McDermott, drove us to the school in his car and I remember when I went to go sit down there was this HUGE book of BOB DYLAN LYRICS. Along with the book of lyrics, 1 of CDs was playing in the car. Ever since then whenever I think of Bob Dylan I think of that day. Anyways, I'm not a BIG fan of Bob Dylan because of his voice, but as I was reading the lyrics and listening to the music the lyrics are amazing! If you focus just on the lyrics you kind of "tune out" his raspy voice. I also enjoyed his electric band better then his acoustic days. While I was reading the lyrics I realized I could relate to some of the situations, but also even though some of them were geared back to the 60s and 70s, I was able to understand what was going on during that time period. One of my favorite songs is "Forever Young" from 1973 because it reminds us of some of the positives such as, "may your wishes come true". We should always try our best. If we don't "aim for the stars" we'll only get half-way to where we want to go. If we aim as high as possible everything is possible! One of my favorite 2 lines from "Lay Lady Lay", 1969 is "Why wait any longer for the one you love, when he's standing in front of you." I think these 2 lines means to take chances and don't give up an opportunity and don't be afraid. IF we don't take chances we'll NEVER know what "would of, could of, should of" happened. I'm not a huge fan of changes, but for the most part they've always worked out for me even when I didn't think it would work out!

1 comment:

mike said...

Good reflections on Dylan's music. I like the fact that you were digging a bit deeper into some topic.